Our Butternut Sausage Homemade Recipe
by Arielle Griffiths MRCVS
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Servings: Makes enough to feed a 15kg dog for 2 weeks as 25% of the daily food substitute
High Fibre Delicious Butternut Sausage Bites
These sausage bites are fibre-filled and very very tasty for even the most discerning of dogs. The blend of ingredients chosen to make up the protein pack are prebiotic nutrients to support a healthy gut microbiome as well as being anti-oxidant rich and naturally anti-inflammatory with soothing natural ginger.
Ideal for our dogs that are on the heavier side and need high-nutrient, high fibre treats; or dogs with anal gland issues as all the ingredients help to correct any digestive imbalances to keep all bottoms healthy and tails wagging for more!
500g Umameo Natural Ginger protein pack
250g chopped fresh butternut
150ml milk alternative such as oat milk
1 grated red apple with skin
2 tbsp natural tahini paste
- Turn on the oven to 160C
- Cut a red apple into quarters. Leave the skin on, remove the pips and grate the apple and leave on the side to brown slightly
- Chop the butternut squash into small squares. Everything will go orange from all the healthy beta-carotene! Weigh out 250g and freeze the rest or use it in a delicious curry for you!
- Boil the chopped butternut pieces in a big pot with 150ml milk alternative for 20 minutes. We use oat milk.
- Once cooked, carefully mash the butternut in the pot with a potato masher
- Add the 2 tbsp tahini paste, grated apple and 500g natural ginger protein pack contents and mix together
- Once cool, the mixture can be rolled into long sausages and then sliced into bite-sized pieces
- These bites make ideal tablet dispensers as you can make small holes before baking in the centre of these sections for placing tablets
- Bake for 15 minutes on a lined baking tray and if wanting a crunchier bite, leave in a very low oven for a few hours
- When the butternut sausage bites are cool, keep them in the fridge in a crinkly packet familiar to your pet to retain the nutrients in the ingredients